Stein Sperling Bennett De Jong Driscoll PC has an immediate opening for an experienced family law paralegal to assist our busy family law litigation practice. The desired candidate will have at least two years of experience. Family law paralegals are involved in all aspects of family law, completing job duties as assigned by a family law attorney. The job duties and responsibilities of paralegals in family law include:
- Preparing and drafting motions, pleadings, judgments, financial statements, and other documents (e.g. correspondence, child support guidelines, joint property statements, etc.)
- Performing legal research
- Understanding the pertinent rules, statutes, and guidelines for Maryland and DC
- Maintaining attorney calendars and case files
- Coordinating court appearances, mediations, and depositions
- Serving as a liaison between the client and attorney, conducting client interviews
- Preparing and reviewing discovery requests and drafting responses to same
- Preparing trial subpoenas and notices of deposition
- Reviewing, organizing and producing discovery documents
- Preparing trial notebooks and providing assistance in trial settings
- Preparing trial exhibits and summaries of documents to be used in trial
Maintaining effective communication with clients is a major responsibility of a family law paralegal. In fact, much of his or her day is spent communicating with clients. Because family law often involves emotionally charged issues such as child custody, child support and division of assets, candidate must have excellent interpersonal communication skills and must be capable of handling clients who are dealing with difficult situations. Paralegals in family law must also communicate well with other professionals, such as bank personnel, healthcare providers, accountants, and financial officers. Experience billing time is preferred.
Qualified candidates are requested to send a copy of their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration, noting “Paralegal, Family Law” in the subject line.