March 3rd, 2022
501(c)(3) Tax Compliance Pitfalls: Cases from the Field
TUESDAY, APRIL 26, 2022
8:30 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
Program will be held via Zoom, link will be sent upon registration.
Help your clients navigate the complex and evolving tax laws and regulations unique to the tax-exempt world so they can avoid jeopardizing their tax-exempt status. Stein Sperling tax and business attorneys Mark Schweighofer and Becky O’Neill will share case law and IRS authority illustrating difficult tax compliance issues, and will discuss strategies for avoiding or mitigating them.
Mark and Becky will cover:
- Non-profit formation, and determining initial 501(c)(3) tax
- classification as a public charity, private foundation or other type of 501(c)(3).
- The importance of continuing to closely monitor the organization’s sources and amounts of revenue to maintain the desired tax
- Analyzing sources of revenue to manage “unrelated business taxable income”.
- 501(c)(3) ownership of certain business interests.
- “Self-dealing” rules and other restrictions on private foundation transactions with insiders.